College and Career Center » Undocumented Students/AB540

Undocumented Students/AB540



As part of the California Education Code, AB 540 allows certain students (undocumented students) who have attended high school in California for 3 or more years and earned a high school diploma or its equivalent to be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at California public universities. 
To classify students as an AB540, students must summit an AB 540 affidavit to the college they will be attending. It is recommended to submit the affidavit before HS Graduation, if not , it can be submitted along with high school transcripts. 
The following financial aid is available to students who meet the AB 540 criteria
For students attending UC's, Cal States and Private universities
  • Cal Grant A, B & C
  • Deadline March 2
For students attending community college
For students whose parents make more than $156,000 and are attending a UC or Cal State
State University Grant
Provides a need-based grant for UC or Cal State students
Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) Grant
For students who were in foster care for at least one day, between the ages of 16 and 18 as a dependent or ward of the court and have financial need.
Scholarships- There are many scholarships available to undocumented students